Iced Iced Coffe

(read to the beat of "Ice Ice Baby". Obviously.)



It's getting too hot for brewed coffee in the morning so I'm trying my hand at cold brew, and let me tell you it is not as easy as brewing in a coffee pot.

As usual, I searched the world wide web for instructions on how to cold brew coffee. I found a lot of interesting things -further peaking my interest in cold brew coffee- such as the fact that its a lot less acidic than your average morning brew. That means no more coffee stomach-aches! (I don't get them, but I do notice a bit of grumbling after a cup of joe.)

So if you're interested in making your own, and you don't want to splurge on a fancy device to do it, you'll only need a few things to do it.
Medium sized coffee grounds, some sort of a device that holds liquid, and something that strains.
That's it? Yeah basically.

A ratio that I found I like after a few tries of doing this was 1/3 cup grounds to every 1 1/2 cups water.
Put your desired amount of grounds and water in the liquid holding device and wait 12 hours.
This is super easy though... Hold your horses cowboy.

After your time is up comes the part that should be easier for anyone that isn't me. Whatever online directions you find, be wary about using a cheesecloth as a straining device. Personally, my attempts with it resulted in a morning in which I was almost late to work. Any sort of a fine strainer will do for the initial rounds; I recommend pouring your cold brew through at least twice in order to get rid of most of the grounds.
Dillon, it's just coffee you know you can buy it at the store... This is the age of DIY, so shut it.

Considering the fact that I moved to a different state with very minimal kitchen supplies and minimal funds, I devised my own (effective) way to complete the straining process; with coffee filters! I had some from my coffee pot and it's job is to keep grounds out... So I tried it and it works. I rigged up a ghetto filter-placed-in-strainer-on-top-of-pitcher and cup-by-cup I let my brew drip into the pitcher.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll probably buy my own from now on.

© An Integral Design. Design by Fearne.